Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Trail of Faith


My friend, Mac Davis and his sister, commissioned me to do a painting about the Martin's Cove area and the handcart pioneers for their Mom. She will be serving a mission in the Martin's Cove Visitor's Center beginning this summer. I had seen a poster advertising for a Pioneer Trek some time ago and thought it was an appropriate depiction of that area. This is my interpretation of that scene. Whenever I have occasion to ponder on the pioneer effort to come to and establish Zion, I am humbled by their faith and determination. Acrylic on canvas (30"x 22")

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Dear Kurt,
I cherish this painting. It looks great in our living room. It will forever be a reminder of the sacred experience of serving at Martin's Cove. It is also a tribute to my great grandma, Margaret Clegg Barnes, and her parents, Jonathan and Ellen Clegg, who were members of the Martin Handcart Company. But even more than that, it is a constant reminder of Mac's and Darla's support and encouragement in my life. They spared no expense in choosing a frame that is perfect for the piece! I love the message of faith and the story of love behind this treasured gift.Thank You for sharing your gift! Sincerely,
Ellen Barnes Maynes