Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Shine On


A few months ago, my sister asked me if I had ever painted a light house. Coincidentally, I had just finished a painting for my first mission companion that depicted a sailing vessel and a light house guiding the way. That was the first light house I had ever painted. My mentor, Jerry Yarnell, has done a collection of lighthouses and so I decided to study up on them. I did this piece with one of my students as a seascape study. I was fun to paint in the "old masters" style of deep shadows and bright highlights. My group painting class chose this painting to work on this month. Though it is challenging, they seem to really enjoy this piece.


Though I have not had much maritime experience, the few lighthouses I have seen always give me comfort and peace amid the turbulence of the sea ... a great metaphor of Heaven's guiding light in our lives. (Acrylic on canvas 20"x 24")

No comments: