Friday, June 11, 2010

The Ship Brooklyn


I have had the recent privilege of participating in the design and construction of a replica of the cutter ship "Brooklyn" at this is the Place Heritage Park in Salt Lake City. It will be a "hands on" experience for children to learn about this "almost forgotten" part of the Mormon Pioneer story.


238 east coast pioneers left New York aboard the "Brooklyn" about the same time as Brigham Young left Nauvoo. They sailed around the horn of South America and landed six months later in Yerba Buena, California (today's San Francisco). Many of them continued on east to Salt Lake, but some stayed in California. Some were even involved in stimulating the California Gold Rush @ Sutter's Mill in 1849.

I was also asked to do a painting of the Brooklyn for the display. I did a lot of research to understand more about this type of ship before attempting to paint it. It has been a fascinating experience for me. I have been humbled as I have come to know of the sacrifices made and hardships endured by these early pioneers. Their faith and devotion is inspiring.


My hope is that this painting will be a catalyst to help us remember our heritage and to reverence those who have gone before. We are certainly the beneficiaries of their commitment and sacrifice. Acrylic on canvas 36"x24".

2 comments:

suspectx said...

Hi! I’m John Atlantic Burrs great great grandson. John Atlantic Burr was born on the Ship Brooklyn
On the 27 Feb 1846, is there ANY painting available of the Ship Brooklyn. I’m hoping to give it to my mom, John Atlantic burgers great granddaughter, Christie Ann Fackrell (Maiden name Burr) thank you!!

suspectx said...

Oh yeah I’m Christie’s son Nathan Fackrell :)